733 15TH STREET, N.W. SUITE 700
WASHINGTON, DC 20005
PHONE: (202) 347-2983 FAX: (202) 347-2984
CONTACT: Board of Directors
MESSAGE TO BIAFRANS
Biafra Foundation has been in existence for about years. During this time, it has actively sought to push The Case for Biafra on to the front pages of major news outlets. Biafra Foundation has taken the case of Biafra into powerful board rooms, the highest offices in most powerful governments of the world, to some of the most powerful non-governmental organizations in the world, to the top most hierarchies of most religious organizations the world over, and to the United Nations. In the process of doing this, the organization has learned some very vital lessons:
1. The Annang, Efik, Ibibio, Igbo, Ijaw, Ogoja, Ogoni, Isan, Isoko, Urhobo, Itsekiri, and other ethnic groups in and closely associated with Biafra are not a free people. They are under occupation by Nigeria and are in slave-like bondage.
2. The Nigerian Governments that have occupied Biafra for thirty-three years have bludgeoned Biafrans into a state of profound despair, invidious self-hatred, and debilitating hopelessness. These despotic oppressors will never relinquish their stranglehold on Biafrans willingly.
3. The people of Biafra have no choice but to wrest control of their Nation and her people, from Nigeria or risk the cataclysm of physical and psychological destruction and ultimate annihilation. This very frightening outcome is transforming into a horrific reality as each day passes.
4. Biafra has many, many friends all over the world. These friends are ready and willing to help the people of Biafra actualize their dream of an independent Republic of Biafra.
5. However, the people of Biafra must be in the vanguard of the struggle for their liberation and freedom. They must stand up bravely and demand their liberty and freedom. They must show unity of purpose and action. They must persevere in their demand and be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve their goal.
6. Most of these friends know quite a lot about Biafra. They have kept abreast with information regarding the oppression, brutalization, and implementation of the genocidal scheme by governments of Nigeria to destroy the highly intelligent, enterprising, and creative people of Biafra and obliterate their widely admired culture.
7. Corrupt, despotic, and parasitic rulers in Nigerian Governments will stop at nothing to squash any serious efforts by individuals or organizations to liberate Biafrans from the deadly clutches of imperialist, feudalist, Islamic fundamentalist rulers of Nigeria.
8. President Obasanjo made very strenuous efforts to persuade Western Governments to proscribe and disband Biafra Foundation. When that failed his government doled out large sums of money to bribe misguided Biafrans to infiltrate, undermine and destroy the Foundation through deliberate misinformation and other devious means.
9. Fellow Biafrans, we wish to reiterate once again that our oppressors will never willingly give back our freedom. We must use nonviolent means to fight for our freedom. The Nigerian Government that has occupied Biafra for 33 years will never give Biafrans back their freedom. Biafrans must fight for their freedom.
10. Every honest, dispassionate, reputable political scientist, political leader, diplomat, sociologist, and indeed keen observer of events in Nigeria from pre independence to now has truly confirmed that Nigeria is like a sand castle so structurally deficient that it will never stand the test of time. Therefore, Biafrans must decide whether to face the situation now or selfishly shift that responsibility to their children.
IN THE PAST ONE AND HALF YEARS BIAFRA FOUNDATION HAS:
1. Brought together people of like minds to pursue actively and in the most concrete manner, a program geared towards the actualization of an Independent Republic of Biafra;
2. Organized workshops to educate and sensitize our people and the world on the genocide committed on the people of Biafra by Nigeria as well as the looming threat of forced Islamization of Biafrans by the Islamic governments of Nigeria;
3. Opened “Biafra House” in Washington DC auspiciously a few weeks after Islamic fundamentalist terrorists unleashed a most heinous attack on the United States of America; Biafra House is located one block from the White House.
4. Started and have continued uninterrupted weekly radio broadcast to project issues concerning Biafra to Biafrans and to the World; in the past one year, Voice of Biafra International (VOBI) has once again put the issue of Biafra on the world stage as well as transmitted important information to the people of Biafra and the world. The thousands of enthusiastic responses we have received from Biafrans and friends of Biafrans all over the world attest to this.
5. Kept Biafra House open and Voice of Biafra International (VOBI) on the air despite spirited and vigorous efforts at the highest levels of government by President Obasanjo to have them shut down.
6. Brought together the former Head of State of Biafra Gen. C. Odumegwu Ojukwu and the leader of MASSOB, Chief Ralph Uwazurike for the opening of the Biafra House; this single action effectively linked the past and the present for the first time in the current history of the struggle. The picture of these two leaders splashed on the pages of newspapers in Nigeria and the World as they jointly opened Biafra House in Washington DC is an event that has monumental implications now and in the future.
7. Made representations to Heads of State, Government, Religious Organizations, Non-governmental Organizations, as well as Human Rights Organizations, and other bodies on behalf of Biafra, as well as MASSOB and its leadership that is persecuted daily by the Islamic Governments of Nigeria.
8. Established strong link with the Committee for the Defense of Human Rights (CDHR); this has helped link us to other International Human Rights Organizations for effective networking and publicity of our “Case for Biafra”.
9. Established probing contact with important elements in the United Nations with the goal of gleaning information on what possibilities are available to the people of Biafra in the pursuit of the goal of actualizing Biafra; that probe has opened up a very important channel of communication that will continue to be immensely useful.
10. Taken our case to the United States Government, especially the United States Congress and the Executive branch of the government; we will continue to intensify those contacts with the hope of making a major breakthrough some day.
11. Established relationship with a public relations firm to help publicize the case for Biafra and help us raise funds; this program still in its infancy is expected to grow.
12. Participated in a public demonstration in front of the United Nations in New York City in protest against the persecution of Christians in different parts of the world; we used the opportunity to showcase the persecution of Christian Biafrans in Nigeria. We distributed pictures of the genocidal attacks on Biafrans in Nigeria as well as “The Case for Biafra” and other documents.
13. Participated in a conference featuring Christian, Jewish, Islamic scholars, and Religious leaders in the United States and designed to address alarming intolerance perpetrated by Moslem fundamentalists in different parts of the world. We made an eloquent presentation on the persecution of Christian Biafrans in Nigeria, the beheading and hoisting of Mr Akaluka’s head on a spike in Kano, and the slaughter of Christian Biafrans in Northern Nigeria. This program was on C-Span and seen all over the world.
14. Presented “The Case for Biafra” on Interfaith Radio which is accessible throughout the world;
15. Upon inquiry, we provided guidelines to quasi-governmental Organizations in Europe and North America on the status of MASSOB and the persecution of members of MASSOB by the Nigerian Government; we expect that this will provide them guidelines for making decisions on granting asylum/refugee status to members of MASSOB who escape persecution in Nigeria.
16. Participated in two large demonstrations in front of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington DC, under the auspices of Igbo Coalition; Reliable intelligence reports indicated that those demonstrations influenced several Nigerian government policy decisions. One example of such policy change is the announcement by the Nigerian Head of State Gen. Obasanjo to recognize all Biafran Veterans of the Nigeria-Biafra war and pay them their pensions. The unanticipated announcement that the Nigerian government never honored, was made one week after one of the big demonstrations in front of the Nigeria Embassy in Washington DC.
17. Every time Moslem Fundamentalist in Nigeria attack and slaughter Christian Biafrans or the Nigerian Government persecutes MASSOB and its leadership, we ensure that this information is made available with in forty-eight hours to virtually every Heads of State, Government, Religious Organizations, Human Rights Organizations and news media for information and necessary action. Thus, we have put the horrific brutality, high handedness, and despotic behavior of the Nigerian Government on the table of every person wielding political power and moral authority all over the world.
18. We have established contact with Biafrans, friends of Biafra and like-minded people all over the world. We are working to expand and strengthen these contacts.
19. We have distributed a well-articulated memo to a very wide audience in Igbo land and all parts of Biafra on the looming danger of forced Islamization of Christian Biafrans and the insidious danger of continuing to live in Islamic Nigeria. The threat of islamization of Christian Biafrans is very real. Christians all over the world, People of the free world, and especially Christian Biafrans can only ignore this threat at their own peril.
20. We have maintained a good relationship with MASSOB. We have provided feedback to the Organization on a number of issues. This involves giving the Organization honest critique of its policies and offering suggestions on policies and strategies.
21. We have established bridges with different segments of Biafran Society at home. That keeps us informed of what is going on at home and we endeavor to make inputs whenever possible.
The Foundation has gone through enormous growing pains. It has experienced turbulence, faced numerous challenges especially from outside the Foundation. Nevertheless, it has grown, remained resolute, steadfast and has stayed the course. It now has braches in several parts of North America and will soon open new branches in Europe.
The Foundation is in the process of establishing working relationship with other Organizations, Groups, and individuals seriously dedicated to the actualization of Biafra through nonviolent means. Biafra Foundation is neither a rabble-rousing nor a keyboard Organization. It recognizes that the task of actualizing Biafra is onerous. However, we must remain undaunted, resolute, and indomitable. Biafra Foundation takes the business of Biafra Actualization very seriously and goes about it very diligently.
Finally, we call on every Annang, Efik, Ibibio, Igbo, Ijaw, Ogoja, Ogoni, Isan, Isoko, Kalabari, Urhobo, Itsekiri, and indeed the other ethnic groups living on land adjoining these groups to do some serious soul searching. What and how long will it take you to see the enormous harm that continuing to be part of Nigeria inflicts on you, your family, and your generations yet unborn? It has been thirty-three years since the end of the Biafra-Nigeria war. The Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba Coalition has seized your land and made you tenants without rights. The Fulani have driven the Birom in Plateau off their land and taken it over. The Hausa/Fulani have driven the Tiv off their land in Nasarawa and taken it over. The Hausa/Fulani have attacked several Angas, Burmawa, Ankwei and Jukun villages hoping to drive out the native population and take over their land. The Yoruba control most of the land in Port Harcourt, Bonny and environs. The big farmer from Otta in Ogun State now owns a big chunk of the land in Obubra, Calabar, and Ikom. Abacha almost wiped out Umuechem. The destruction and humiliation meted to Ogoni people by Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba marauding soldiers is unspeakable. Obasanjo demolished Odi and refused even to apologize preferring instead to add insult to injury by humiliating the Ijaw people: “look at his Ijaw man face,” he said. After murdering hundreds of people and razing Zaki Biam and other Tiv towns, he humiliated the Tiv by telling them that he will never apologize to them. Fellow Biafrans, where are your best intellectuals today? They have been driven into economic exile in Europe and North America. Those who tried to protest the injustice of the Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba cabal were isolated and murdered. Obasanjo enjoys insulting and humiliating Ndi Igbo at every opportunity. In the late 1970,’s he thoroughly insulted and humiliated Igbo intellectuals who had gathered at the CEC of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka to welcome and pay him their respect as Head of State. On two occasions at Owerri, he has also insulted and humiliated Ndi Igbo. At what point will the Igbo and other Biafrans make it clear in unambiguous and unmistakable terms that this behavior will no longer be tolerated from anybody no matter who they are and what weapons they carry? To humiliate one person is bad enough but to humiliate the Igbo Nation of forty million people is an outrage that must not be condoned. Nations go to war to protect their honor and end humiliation. Biafrans, do you have any honor left? Every nation, people have the duty to stand up for themselves and say, “Enough is enough already”. Think about it. Dr. M. I Okpara, Dr. Akanu Ibiam, Dr. N.U. Akpan, Mrs Margaret Ekpo, Eyo Bassey Ndem, Dr. Dennis Osadebey, Eze Nwonodu, Okon Okon Ndem, Col. Achuzie, Brig. Nwawo, General C. Odumegwu Ojukwu, General Philip Effiong, Col Onwuatuegwu, Col. Nsudo, Bede Okigbo, Prof Onuaguluchi, Prof, Njoku Obi, Prof Ezekwe, Prof Achebe, and millions of other brave Biafrans did not accept to be humiliated by nonentities. No! Then, why should you? Annang, Efik, Ibibio, Igbo, Ijaw, Ogoja, Ogoni, Isan, Isoko, Urhobo, Itsekiri, think of your future and that of your children. You must unite now to fight off the Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba feudal invaders or remain slaves for a very long time. Haven’t you suffered enough yet?
Biafra Foundation is a non-profit organization. Your generous financial assistance will enable it to face the challenges ahead with even greater success. Make your tax-deductible checks or money orders ( do not send cash in the mail) payable to Biafra Foundation and mail to:
733 15TH ST NW, Suite 700